Skip to main content

Perfectly Imperfect


2 mins read

Fake it till make it, they say. I mean, what does this even mean? Yes, confidence is a significant issue. That's something one might work on for their entire life. It's not easy to gain and the process is rather painful. It teaches you a lot, whilst also taking a lot from you. And I also don't think anyone can say, ‘Okay, I got this from here until the day I die’. Because there will always be circumstances that make us feel horrible about ourselves. But that's fine, too. All of these things are part of our lives. However, what I don't get is how you can actually pretend to have something you don't have. This feels so unnatural to me. 

Besides, for someone to fake something, you have to trick your brain into doing it. In other words, your brain should be convinced of something you are not. Maybe it's an art and you gotta learn at some point in your life. I don't know. Although grown-up life is not as sincere as I would imagine, I believe there is still room for reality, and I want that aspect to be as genuine as possible. At least from my end, anyway. 

So instead of faking it till making it, I'm adopting an approach that says, ‘The imperfection is guaranteed, you might as well do it.’ I heard this sentence in some podcast and it stuck in my mind since. I can't emphasize enough how accurate and honest this is. And I feel like I'm experiencing this a lot. I'm abstaining from lots of things thinking that I won't be good enough. And if I, by mistake, began with that thing, I'm making the experience hell for me. That's not helpful, at all. And since I don't know how to fake it, this is making things a bit difficult. But if one could just accept the fact that, whatever you do in this life, it's never going to be perfect. Someone could be better than you, but there's always someone else who's better than this person and this goes forever. Thus, focusing on who is doing better than you is an endless pit. And this circle also goes in the other way. Some people are making things way worse than you are. But we don't normally like to focus on that. We'd like to make ourselves miserable by focusing on what we can't achieve and who is doing better than us.

In short, rather than striving for perfection and faking it or pretending to be someone you're not, consider focusing on the idea that if you wait too long for everything to happen flawlessly, you might wind up waiting forever. So, you might as well do that thing and just observe the process. It will undoubtedly get better with practice. And better is already more than enough. Because perfection is a myth and I really do hope someday I could embrace my perfectly imperfect existence.  

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

YLSY Sürecim

Üniversite üçüncü sınıf. Aziz hoca bir dersimizde “Türkiye'de akademisyen olabilmenin yolları”nı anlatıyor. O zaman bunun için 3 yol var: ÖYP, cari alımlar ve MEB bursu. O gün MEB bursunu duyunca çok heyecanlandığımı hatırlıyorum. Anneme anlatıyorum hemen, 6 sene çok fazla diyor; babam, Türkiye'de bir iş sahibi olmamı söylüyor. Benim için hiç kolay bir ikna süreci olmuyor. Kendimi ifade etme çabalarım hala gözümün önünden gitmiyor.  Bir sene sonra ÖYP kaldırılıyor. Yıkılıyorum. Sonra mezun oluyorum. Sonra 2016 yılında ilk kez YLSY tercih kılavuzu yayınlanıyor. İçinde özel hukuk yok. Benim hukuku sevme nedenim olan özel hukuk yok. Başvurmuyorum. Ama gerçekten çok üzülüyorum. Aradan birkaç ay geçiyor. Yıldırım Beyazıt Üniversitesi'ne yüksek lisansa kabul ediliyorum. Ve YLSY'yi tamamen unutuyorum. Çok güzel bir yüksek lisans dönemi... Hocalarımı çok seviyorum. Okulumu çok seviyorum. Beni gerçekten tatmin ediyor. Sonra staj başlatıyorum. Yüksek lisans ve stajı aynı...

I TOLD MY STORY!

If you ask me what’s the coolest thing I’ve ever done in my life, I’d say, “Which one? I’ve done so many cool things!” But if you said, “Come on, be serious now,” I’d tell you: the day I told my story. That was the day I felt the bravest, coolest, and most inspired. It all started when one of my close friends invited me to the  TOUCH Network storytelling event. I was like, “Cool, let’s go.” I didn’t have any expectations, good or bad, except that I knew we’d see some farm animals since the event was taking place on a farm. So we went. It was a storytelling event, as advertised, but not just random storytelling. Four people talked about struggles they had overcome in life, how they did it, and what we could take from it. It was basically like TED Talks, but with fewer spotlights and more human touch. If you know me, you know I’m all about human connection, deep conversations, and touchy subjects. So I was so happy when I realized what was going on. I had the most beautiful tw...

What the Pho: My Vietnam Journey

So many things to write about Vietnam… but this won’t be a long one. I just want to keep some practical points on record for the future. Vietnam was my first solo trip after a while, and also my first proper hostel experience. I’ve travelled solo a lot before, and I’ve stayed in hostels before, too. But this time it was just… different. I was truly sad when I left Hanoi. Exhausted after 11 days. Slightly sick. But also, sad. I think it’s genuinely amazing that human beings are capable of moving around the world and making connections. Like, I could literally meet a bunch of people from all around the world, have the most interesting and brave conversations, and then never see them again. Travelling is freeing on so many levels. And I think I’m starting to enjoy the human element of travelling more and more, even more than the “fantastic places” I’ve seen. In Vietnam, I felt that so strongly, and my extroverted side really came out towards the end, which is why I’m grateful. Some storie...