Skip to main content

Singapore to Aberdeen


It’s been almost a month since I moved to Aberdeen, and I’m trying to get back to writing. I am trying to remember what it was like to be in Singapore. Does one magically forget about one whole year, just like that?

For this past month, I started my job as a lecturer, met with my students, and gave my first induction lecture. When I tell this to my family and friends, they say, “You mean introduction?” I say, “Yes.” So why don’t they just call it that?

I guess “induction,” for non-academic people, means induction hob.

I checked, and technically, induction and introduction are pretty close. So why do academics call it an induction class and not an introduction class? 

Talk about diverting from the topic. Have I become a proper academic yet?

Where was I?

So yes, I started my job. Then, a quick flight to Turkey, brought two families together to put a nice ring on our fingers. Ate my mum’s delicious homemade snacks. Then flew back to our Scottish home. All the shenanigans just for two people to be in love.

It’s been a month since I left the hot, humid, dream country. And it feels like forever. Not just forever. It feels like it never existed.

I use Singapore-themed coasters for my morning coffee. I journal in my Gardens by the Bay notebook in the mornings. I talk to my Singapore friends a few times a week and send them memes and stuff. And yet, it still feels like Singapore never happened. It’s that far.

Sitting in a cool coffee shop, surrounded by Scottish accents, wearing a warm hoodie and drinking a hot coffee, how could I remember?

The other day, I replied to one of my friends’ stories. She’s currently visiting Japan, so I asked her how it was going. She said, “It’s beautiful here, and also it’s windy, so you can imagine how nice it is after Singapore.”

Can I, though?

What was it like?

Sticky, sweaty, humid.

Have you ever had to hug your friend when both of you were sweaty? Try it every day. You’ll like it.

I cannot stress enough how nice it is to not sweat all the time. How nice it is to shower because you want to shower, and not because you’re dripping with sweat. This is hard to describe to someone who hasn’t experienced it all.

What are some of the things I miss about Singapore? I guess friends are the first thing. In Aberdeen, I have zero friends. One, if you count my fiancé. But that’s it. It’s interesting to start from scratch again. Like you’re 32 and you move to a new country again.

Wait, didn’t I do that when I was 31?

I certainly did. I must be crazy or something.

Right now, we’re trying out the limited social activities that the city has to offer. We went to a comedy club twice. The first time, I understood maybe 60 percent of the jokes. Because all of the comedians were Scottish.

One of them was talking about when he moved from Aberdeen to Dundee, and how difficult it was for him. He had to “adjust” to everything.

Bruhhh.

When I see that kind of stuff, I pat myself on the back and say, “You’re fine, chicken. There’s nothing more normal in the world than you getting used to this.”

Also getting used to the UK again after Singapore.

The other day, one of my colleagues asked me how Singapore was. I said, “It was really nice. I enjoyed my time there.” The poor guy was shocked, naturally, as he was expecting a 15-minute answer. People talk for 15 minutes here when you ask them how their day is going. So his Scottish mind couldn’t comprehend how I could summarise one year in two sentences.

This is Singapore for you. Everything is so efficient and to the point. No time for small talk or chit-chat. I’m readjusting. I’m trying to remember what I was like when I was in Southampton

Now that I’m back in the West again, I cook all of my meals. No more eating a beautifully crafted Japanese meal for three quid. No, that should be 20 quid. So I’m making breakfasts, lunches and dinners. And I’m planning my day around them, and carrying my food around. I think I took it for granted in Singapore, being able to eat delicious food, anytime, anywhere, for such affordable prices. It’s okay, though. Because back then, I was complaining about not being able to cook.

I started my very own writing club. Currently, I have zero attendees. Sometimes my fiancé joins me. He must either love me or pity me. One of those. I want to continue writing. I actually want to write a book about my time in Singapore, but it’s difficult because I’m not in that mindset anymore.

My life completely changed overnight. Everything that I care about, prioritise, or worry about is different now. So it’s a bit challenging to write about something that I’m no longer living. But I will try to make it work somehow.

This is Aberdeen so far, for you. 

Oh yes, and I’m happy. Happier than ever.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

YLSY Sürecim

Üniversite üçüncü sınıf. Aziz hoca bir dersimizde “Türkiye'de akademisyen olabilmenin yolları”nı anlatıyor. O zaman bunun için 3 yol var: ÖYP, cari alımlar ve MEB bursu. O gün MEB bursunu duyunca çok heyecanlandığımı hatırlıyorum. Anneme anlatıyorum hemen, 6 sene çok fazla diyor; babam, Türkiye'de bir iş sahibi olmamı söylüyor. Benim için hiç kolay bir ikna süreci olmuyor. Kendimi ifade etme çabalarım hala gözümün önünden gitmiyor.  Bir sene sonra ÖYP kaldırılıyor. Yıkılıyorum. Sonra mezun oluyorum. Sonra 2016 yılında ilk kez YLSY tercih kılavuzu yayınlanıyor. İçinde özel hukuk yok. Benim hukuku sevme nedenim olan özel hukuk yok. Başvurmuyorum. Ama gerçekten çok üzülüyorum. Aradan birkaç ay geçiyor. Yıldırım Beyazıt Üniversitesi'ne yüksek lisansa kabul ediliyorum. Ve YLSY'yi tamamen unutuyorum. Çok güzel bir yüksek lisans dönemi... Hocalarımı çok seviyorum. Okulumu çok seviyorum. Beni gerçekten tatmin ediyor. Sonra staj başlatıyorum. Yüksek lisans ve stajı aynı...

I TOLD MY STORY!

If you ask me what’s the coolest thing I’ve ever done in my life, I’d say, “Which one? I’ve done so many cool things!” But if you said, “Come on, be serious now,” I’d tell you: the day I told my story. That was the day I felt the bravest, coolest, and most inspired. It all started when one of my close friends invited me to the  TOUCH Network storytelling event. I was like, “Cool, let’s go.” I didn’t have any expectations, good or bad, except that I knew we’d see some farm animals since the event was taking place on a farm. So we went. It was a storytelling event, as advertised, but not just random storytelling. Four people talked about struggles they had overcome in life, how they did it, and what we could take from it. It was basically like TED Talks, but with fewer spotlights and more human touch. If you know me, you know I’m all about human connection, deep conversations, and touchy subjects. So I was so happy when I realized what was going on. I had the most beautiful tw...

What the Pho: My Vietnam Journey

So many things to write about Vietnam… but this won’t be a long one. I just want to keep some practical points on record for the future. Vietnam was my first solo trip after a while, and also my first proper hostel experience. I’ve travelled solo a lot before, and I’ve stayed in hostels before, too. But this time it was just… different. I was truly sad when I left Hanoi. Exhausted after 11 days. Slightly sick. But also, sad. I think it’s genuinely amazing that human beings are capable of moving around the world and making connections. Like, I could literally meet a bunch of people from all around the world, have the most interesting and brave conversations, and then never see them again. Travelling is freeing on so many levels. And I think I’m starting to enjoy the human element of travelling more and more, even more than the “fantastic places” I’ve seen. In Vietnam, I felt that so strongly, and my extroverted side really came out towards the end, which is why I’m grateful. Some storie...